Doc Savage Org Logo

features   Featuring   features Pulp   Pulps   Pulp Bantam   Bantam   Bantam Authors   Authors   Authors Editors   Editors   Editors Illustrators   Illus.   Illustrators Links   The Fans   Links Comments   015   Comments search

« 032 10/35 Dust of Death - | - 014 12/35 The Fantastic Island »

column 015 11/35 Murder Melody column

3511.jpg

It began with a series of quakes which tore huge, gaping holes in the surface of the earth. Soon the sky over the Northwest was filled with the bodies of strange floating men playing a weird melody of death. Was the world doomed? Could Doc Savage and his Fabulous five save it from almost certain destruction? Join them as they race to the center of the earth for a titanic battle with the power-crazed leaders of a fantastic super-civilization.

Categories:

1935 - 1935
b013 - b013
bama - bama
baumhofer - baumhofer
donovan - donovan
nanovic - nanovic
novel - novel
pulp - pulp

column Comments  column

015.jpg

Note: Comments may contain spoilers.

Andrew Salmon

This one has always been one of my favorites though I seem to be in the minority on this. One reason is because it's set in Vancouver where I live and Stanley Park (where the early action) takes place is well rendered. I also like the Murder Melody and the men swooping down from the sky. It's outlandish and campy and I love it.If you've missed this one, give it a try.

- | - June 13, 2002 02:04 AM

Scott Kimball

I agree with the previous post... Murder Melody is worth reading just for the images of the silvery-faced guys playing "death flutes" while using gravity belts to descend from the sky, hover in mid-air, or fly wherever they please. Doc and his crew's fight-and-get-captured-break-free-only to get captured again gets kind of old as it does in some of the other books. Pretty cool if you like goofy sci-fi action from the 30's, and when it involves Doc, of course, it only makes it better.

- | - July 10, 2003 01:31 AM

Scott Kimball

- | - July 10, 2003 01:32 AM

Barry Ellis

A lot of Doc fans HATE this story, but I've always loved it. One of THE most far-fetched Doc tales, and enjoyable just because of that fact. Not quite 'Land Of Always-Night', but right up there with that pinnacle of the Doc "lost civilization" stories.

- | - July 21, 2003 08:29 PM

Todd Pence

"Murder Melody" marks the debut of Doc Savage ghostwriter Laurence Donovan (also known as Norman Danberg), who wrote nine Doc novels during this period. Although Donovan has a pretty good handle on the concept and characters of the series, his Doc stories are quite different from Dent's. Donovan went for a more blockbuster-action type of epic on a scale even grander than Dent's. Although Donovan's stories are enjoyable to Doc fans, their canonicity must be seriously called into question. Doc is shown as having devices which are not present in the Dent tales. For example, in many of the Donovan novels, Doc's radio is equipped with a televisor so he can see the person he is communicating with. Yet in Dent's "The Yellow Cloud", which supposedly takes place several years after the Donovan books, we learn that Long Tom had just devised the first experimental model of a radio equipped with television capability!! How, then, could Doc have had such a device during the time of the Donovan tales? One can best enjoy Donovan's Doc tales if one views them as occuring in an alternate universe slightly different from that of Dent's Doc.

- | - December 17, 2003 10:36 PM

Paul Cook

I read this book right after "Land of Always Night" and "Fantastic Island" and they all seemed of a piece to me: exciting adventures, exotic locals, even touches of science fiction. I also liked the Bantam cover though Doc does seem to have a few wrinkles under his chin. Since I had already read "Pellucidar" and "Tarzan at the Earth's Core", I was already prepped for the "civilization inside the earth" trope and found myself enjoying this novel (though later being quite willing to dismiss it in favor of the canonical Docs). Still, I can recommend this book for its escapist pleasure (even if parts of it seem silly). As for Donovan's writing style, it's a bit more wordy than Dent and more lyrical and descriptive, but that wan not a deterrant for me.

- | - April 4, 2005 08:00 PM

Mark Carpenter

This is a typical Donovan tale big, loud, flashy and dumb. I usually cast a blind eye toward the author's detours into camp, but with a villain called "Zoro," a princess named "Lanta," and a ridiculous underground kingdom where everyone talks like
they're in a high school production of "Camelot," this book was too much for me to stomach. As much as I usually enjoy Donovan's wackiness, "Murder Melody" comes off like an episode of "Mystery Science Theater 3000." For the definitive underground- civilization Doc story, stick with "Land of Always-Night."

- | - June 24, 2005 05:04 PM

Thomas Fortenberry

Well, I typically am the big naysayer about Donovan tales because of their outlandish qualities. He tends to dwell in SF/fantasy realms moreso than Doc's grounded scientific reality. But I decided to reread this because of all the positivity abounding. It is (if you just throw out canonical realism and enjoy) a fun read. Reminds me I really liked this one as a kid. There are some great descriptions of the underworld, Subterranea, its society, and its vast mineral wealth. Doc's Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Completely ignoring all the complaints I have, I'll mention a few positives: in these Donovan tales Doc is completely superhuman: stronger, swifter, smarter than everyone. He rips a door off a car without even grunting. He can dodge and lunge superfast and jump super high. He can climb walls like a fly and in one scene leaves fingermarks all the weay up a wall of solid gold. Once, he is falling so fast that when he grabs a rope it smokes all the way down. Here his memory is not just photgraphic, his senses are too, with tactile and visual recall. Also he masters flying the extremely advanced inner-earth uniships (like spaceships moving through solid rock) at a single glance. When he revives he is not groggy but becomes instantly conscious. It is 0 to 100 with this guy.

There are some nice moments in this book for the aids also. Johnny is in awe at his surroundings. It is paradise for a geologist to fly in a clear-walled ship down through the crust of the earth and explore all its layers. Renny knocks an entire panel out of a deck housing and is so angry he rips free of a straight jacket affair wihen inprisoned. And Renny's skill at one point is said to be exceeded only by Doc's (natch,) but hey, nice going Renny. That's a hell of a comparison. Monk has a very rare running war with the female lead in this book instead of falling for her. The stunningly beautiful/intelligent Lanta shoots them (with their own weapons no less) and captures them repeatedly so that Monk outright hates her and distrusts her throughout the entire book. He says, "everytime she gets a chance she shoots us." Very rare to see him vehemently dislike a girl, or at least not eventually soften his opinion sometimes due to her beauty.

Finally, a great point is made. Near the end a weapon is unleashed in Subterranea and the horror of a civilization's first touch of explosive destruction is shockingly portrayed and prefigures quite well the shock of the world when the first atomic weapons were unleashed on Japan during WWII. Utopian ideals are promulgated and of course promptly obliterated by the hatemongering warriors of the world. But such is life.

- | - June 25, 2005 10:11 PM

Joe Salamone

I read a few Doc Savage books when I was a kid and I loved them. Years later, I have been able to piece together a large collection of these old Bantam books . . . I think I have about 125 - 130 of them (including some of the doubles and omnibus books). I am in the process of reading them in sequence (the Bantam sequence - - not the original magazine sequence). I am currently reading #24 THE GREEN EAGLE. So far, MURDER MELODY is the one I have enjoyed the least. I couldn't get into it and I ended up reading the first 2 or 3 chapters several times because my mind was wandering so much while I was reading. I think it took me about a month to finish the book because I could never force myself to read more than a few pages at a time. Another one I had trouble with was THE SPOOK LEGION. I'm sure that I will eventually go back and read these books again. Maybe I'll like them better the second time around. My favorites so far have been THE THOUSAND HEADED MAN, METEOR MENACE, QUEST OF QUI, THE SARGASSO OGRE, and THE FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE. When I was a kid, I enjoyed THE METAL MASTER, THE LIVING FIRE MENACE, and THE MYSTERY ON THE SNOW. I'm looking forward to reading them again.

- | - June 18, 2006 08:14 PM

editors Post a Comment editors

Name:

Email Address:

URL:

Comments:

Note: Your email and URL will not be published.

Keep Info?

Please note: DocSavage.Org will never republish any comments for profit. We retain the right to edit or delete any comments. We also retain the right to reformat this site and any comments. By submitting your comment you agree to these conditions.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Design adapted by: Chuck Welch and powered by Moveable Type
Send comments to: ds AT this domain

Patience and beauty by Catherine Lavallée-Welch

Thanks to Duane Spurlock at the Pulp Rack and Steve Sherman for their Bronzetoe help and inspiration.

Thanks to Chris Kalb and the 86th Floor for help and inspiration.

Doc Savage Org is a member of the Doc Savage Webring
<< Prev | Next >> | [ Random | Ring Hub | Join Us! ]

This page last updated at September 07, 2006 04:46 PM.

All copyrighted characters, names, and art depicted on this site are copyrighted by their various respective owners.

Doc Savage is (c) by Conde Nast
Bantam Scans donated by David Schneider.

DocSavage.Org is (c) 2004 by Chuck Welch Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.