Phillip Jose Farmer

Chuck Welch
May 16, 1970 - author / farmer

PJ Farmer wrote one Doc Savage adventure: Escape From Loki.

PJ Farmer wrote one Doc Savage adventure: Escape From Loki.

Comments

Comment Archive

1. Phil Obermarck says:

PJF also wrote “Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life” a pseudo biography of Doc in which his family tree is traced to numerous fictional heroes and adventurers.

2. Andrew Salmon says:

Farmer has to be the worst of the “Robesons!” He seems to think it’s his calling in life to make readers believe that somehow Doc is nothing without him and he must take it upon himself to explain what everything means for us ignorant readers. Escape From Loki is not a Doc Savage novel. Pure and simple. It breaks every rule. Sometimes this is a good thing but not with Doc. The various Robesons all have one common goal, that’s to be inseparable from the original Robeson, Lester Dent. It’s not up to them to put their personal stamp on the characters or the series. They’re supposed to be telling a rip-snorting good story. Period. Farmer has to give us Doc the way he sees him and not the way he actually is. Personally I have no interest in reading Farmer’s interpretaion of Doc. I hope we shan’t see any more contributions from Mr. Farmer to the Doc canon.

3. Scott Kimball says:

I remember as a kid picking up a copy of Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life. I was coming off an adrenaline rush from reading The Polar Treasure and The Lost Oasis, among others, and I was looking forward to something simialar. Boy was I in for a shock. I think I got about three pages into it and my mind was reeling… “This maybe called Doc Savage’s biography, but it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the real Doc.” Trying to unravel Doc’s mystery is like trying to disect your best friend in order to understand him/her better… you may learn some interesting facts, but your best friend gets killed in the process. I may just be stubborn and prejudiced, but I refuse to even try reading that book again, and I won’t read Escape From Loki, either, Hummph!

4. John Arden says:

Escape is actually of one the better Docs, showing Doc as a three-dimensional character, something we do get glimpses of in the original stories, though not enough. I don’t think Farmer has a secret agenda when it comes to Doc; he’s merely having great fun and sharing it.

5. Jordan fr says: